- An organization can enter one or more commercial or institutional building(s) in the competition. Eligible categories are as follows:
- Office buildings
- Retail businesses
- Educational institutions
- Health care centres
- Mixed-use buildings
- Multi-residential buildings
- Universal buildings
- To participate in the competition, buildings must provide complete energy consumption data entered in the Energy Star Portfolio Manager for 2018 and shared with the Building Energy Challenge.
- The submission period for Year 1 (2018) remains open. Building registrations for the first year will be accepted until March 28, 2019. All buildings that submit complete data on energy consumption for the entire building for 2018 by means of the Energy Star Portfolio Manager will be registered. For Year 1, recognition will be attributed to all participants who have ratified their registration and submitted their complete energy data. An awards gala will take place in spring 2019 to highlight the participation of all buildings taking part.
- For Year 2 of the competition (2019), competitors must update and submit their complete energy consumption data for the period January 1 to December 31, 2019. An Energy Star Portfolio Manager report will be issued and provided to competitors.
- Recognition of energy efficiency will be attributed in the following three categories:
- GHG Target: Buildings that have reduced their greenhouse gas emissions by 10 to 14.9% (Silver), 15 to 19.9% (Gold) and 20% or more (Platinum).
- Improved energy performance: Buildings with the greatest percentage reduction in total energy consumption in their category, from the reference year (2018) to the year in question. Categories will be carefully defined based on size and initial energy performance.
- Collaboration: Buildings that have demonstrated leadership in terms of excellent collaboration between managers and tenants in pursuit of better energy efficiency results.
Congratulations to all those who have already signed up for the BEC! Join them and take part in this lively and engaging competition aimed at protecting the environment.
Help us spread the word!
Good luck to all participants! – Consult the Participant’s Guide for details.